How to choose the best kid scooters 2017? Guide for Dummy Daddy
Bros, it’s me…A father of 2 children, who are exploring this beautiful world and really enjoyed their “fast and curious” never-ending-adventures with their best kid scooters 2017 buddy ever.
Actually, one lesson already learned here: I don’t take anything for granted.
Back then since my children both were Five and Seven years old (or so, it was like a thousand years to me already), I got an important task (I mean, just as important as other tasks) which takes me days and nights to seek for and make decision:
Which are “the best kid scooters” for our child?
I know there are thousands of beloved daddies out there (I also heard screaming of those first-time Dads…I know. I know it all…) and believe that you guys are suffering (or are going to suffer) from this finding task. SO, I do believe that my story here would be helpful.
However, let’s just talk about the situation: I was a great father of two “awn, how adorable” kids – one 5 years old baby girl and one 7 years old little boy.
My life was “literally” changed a bit within those years – Nope, actually, it changed, like, COMPLETELY. Many important and tough decisions were also made within that period (pink or purple is also a “tough” one, I bet those who have daughters would understand).
However, I have a confession. By the time my children both could run and “look after themselves” somehow, we (me and my wife) did think “Yay, the sleeplessness has ended, the 100%-attention has ended, and many things else have also ended.”
But, NO. It’s a trap. Totally.
They became two little beasts – who seems like never run out of energy and start being curious about the world. They start their own so-called campaign “Children right” (Yay, I named it):
“A child need to contribute to a group and need to be accepted by their peers.”
We both tired of fighting back their curiousness and stopping their intensive energy. My wife has made a significant move – to assign me the task: “find the best kid scooter for our children”.
But as a great and responsible and legend*wait-for-it*dary daddy, when my wife told me that task, I was like: “Why? Why our kids need those Kick Scooter? What it benefits for them?” (Though I only thought it and said it to myself while my hand typing those words for searching “best Scooter for kids”. You know, “A wife always remembers”)
Here are top benefits of kid scooters as I found out thereupon:
Physical development: The children will have space for outside exercising (and yes, they will release their energy much)
Social and emotional development: The children will learn to blend in with their peers and learn how to work in group, communicate to solve problem together, learn to accept and be accepted by others (not simply as throwing anything away, in anger, at home, with us.)
And some other blah blah thing.
Bros, while you knew somethings are critical already, you will have to take it seriously. Choosing the best Kid scooters is quite an example. My children were Five and Seven - differentiate in height, age, gender and even personality - so it’s not that easy like come to a nearby store and said “I want a Kick scooter for my 7-years-old son.”
*Even they would definitely suggest some best choices but the final decision is in our hand.
Episode 1: They made 3-wheels Kick scooter for a reason.
Like a bike, Kick Scooter for kid does require the child some practice time to get used to it. Some educational materials for “dummy papa” said: “letting your child start with a 3-wheel Kick scooter will help them less likely to fall and get road rash. The 2nd and 3rd time would be easier and they will hardly to give up trying.”
But “that is the books say”. I ask some of my friends - those experienced guys also back to me with mixed opinions.
Some admit that 3-wheels are the best first options to start with. We can definitely go along with it since the child are 3 and onwards, then swift to 2-wheels type when he/she are 6.
However, in the other side, some argue that 3-wheels Kick scooters seem not to have a significant impact on the growth and adapt process of a kid. They mean, I could choose 3-wheels or 2-wheels type for my child even in his/her earlier age because it’s both good for them to learn to control the balance.
And at a kid’s right-time (and this “right-time” is so much different from each other), they all can use a 2-wheels one and reach to the same speed of learning how to ride a bike.
Well, As I already said, we, as fathers, have many important decisions to make. This is the first and foremost one with the largest impact on whether our children can safely try a Kick scooter and success at using it.
Thing is even challenging more when within 2-wheels and 3-wheels, they are classified into 4 different types!
Two front wheels, one rear wheel, lean to turn steering.
Two front wheels, one rear wheel, bicycle steering.
One front wheel, two rear wheels, bicycle steering.
One front wheel, two rear wheels with V-Shape. (To be honest, this one is quite strange to me, I don’t think it has any chance to be chose)
I guess you now understand why I need to tell this story. It’s all about choices (Like, many choices...).
Episode 2: Large or Small?
This episode is about one more tough decision to make - the diameter of the wheels. The overall size of the best kid scooters is depended on its appropriated between wheel-size and a kid’s body, usually larger wheels direct related to larger body.
Small wheels Kick scooters.
It’s a contrary for common belief that “Small wheels Kick scooters are made for kids only”.
Wrong Assumption No.1: Small wheels can only carry a lightweight rider.
The truth is: While made from aluminium, a small wheel Kick scooter could carry up to 100kg. No worry much if you are searching for the best toddler scooters in specific or the best scooter for kids in general.
Wrong Assumption No.2: Kick Scooters’ deck size would be too small.
The truth is: they only need space for one single foot to ride a Kick scooter (The other foot is, to be honest, pushing all the time).
Wrong Assumption No.3: Kick Scooters with small wheels seem hard to use with indented and rugged roads.
The truth is: In fact, Kick scooters with small wheels are usually much lighter than large wheel scooters so they are really practical, easy to ride, handle and control (To fall or not to fall, it’s all about the skills) Not to mention that they are also portable to move or to storage.
Large wheels Kick scooters.
The larger the wheels are, the more versatile the Kick scooters’ ability to cross varied terrains.
However, it’s funny how, when I talked to my friends, after consider along the way, pick up and put down various types of Kick scooters for their children, they finally choose the larger one (if the competition is now narrowed down only between 2 to 3 types). *Reason: Larger wheel Kick scooter have a longer usable life due to the fact that children seem less to outgrow it.
So now, beside 2-wheel or 3-wheel, one more dimension I need to consider - Diameter of the wheel:
Small: 100mm upto 140mm.
Medium: 145mm upto 180mm
Large: 185mm upto 205mm.
Very Large: 210mm and above.
Episode 3: To Brake to not Break.
Well, my choosing journey has not ended yet. The next one would be “To brake or not to brake to not break”. Almost 70% the best kid scooters in the market includes braking system, some remained do not include a brake at all. A brake system is highly recommended under two circumstances:
Downhill roads or slopes neighbor area.
“Aggressive drivers” - Yeah.
*Don’t worry, whatever I chose, I go with the first reason.
Episode 4: weight and height capacity
After those three dimensions above, this one is quite less nightmare than. Down to earth, I have conducted those two “basic rules”
Total weight capacity of the best scooter for kids > The children weight + 20 pounds.
|Age 2 - 4||Age 4 - 6||Age 7 - 9||Age 9 and Upon|
|Three-wheel Kid scooters - steering type (The easiest)||-First Kid scooters. -Non-physically active||-First Kid scooters. -Non-physically active||-First Kid scooters. -Plus: Really careful parents|
Seriously, I don’t know what’s going on here.
|Three-wheel lean-to-turn type(The SO-SO)||-First Kid scooters.-Physically active||-First Kid scooters.-Physically active-Plus: Careful parents||-First Kid scooters. -Plus: Careful parents|
|Two-wheel(The hardest)||-First Kid scooters.-Physically active-Plus: Awesome parents.||-First Kid scooters. -Physically active-Plus: Awesome Parents||-First Kid scooters OR already used Kid scooters.-Physically active||-RIGHT age to use or swift to 2-wheel scooter.|
|*Recommended size within a line product||Small||Medium||Large||Very Large|
Bros, choosing is never an easy thing to do. Whatever you chose, the not-chosen-one is always a bitterness.
Even with way too deep knowledge above, while pulling together and filter out the best scooter for kids within the market, it’s still needed to consider more.
Here is the finalist I got - Don’t worry, I’m not plan to go into details of how much is its weight, high or the decks’ wide or which materials it comes from, for handlebars and tyres…*Oops, I hear someone yawning with those information* - Just to reassure, we will only talk about the topline of those best kid scooters.
Now first, let’s talk about the “MICRO FAMILY”:
Micro Mini Original Kick Scooter Scooter: _bdc6199a_
- Highest rated scooter for 2-5 year olds
- Children love the fun, safe lean to steer design
- Smooth, quiet ride with non-marking wheels
With a design of 3-wheels (two front and one back) low to the ground deck, Micro Mini Original is a basic stable and easy to ride for children from 2 to 5 years old.
With all those things from stability, lightweight, rear brake, funky upright design etc, this learn to steer type is voted 5 stars at the best kids scooters within the 2-to-5 category.
That’s why it upsets me a lot! Remember? At the time my wife told me to find our children the best scooters, they are 5 and 7 already!
Even it is constructed as modules - which means all the parts are replaceable, choosing Micro Mini Original is not a wise choice since its handlebar fix at 24inches - can’t adjust! Micro Original is surely named in the list of the best toddlers scooters.
Value for money - Seem like the cheapest line within the Micro Family.
Lots of cool colors options.
Fixed handlebar - can’t adjustable.
Suitable only if the user is small, seems like can’t not affordable
2. Micro Mini Deluxe Kick Scooter: _ad17f2c0_
- New adjustable T-bar accommodates children as they grow
- Please tighten handlebar clamp using supplied hex wrench before riding
- New anodized T-bars with 8 fun new deck colors
- Duel-injection deck incorporating anti-slip silicone micro logo
As already fallen for the Original one, I follow the searching for related and found out this Deluxe line.
It’s no doubt that this one from Micro family is a tiny warrior while also rated as one of the best Kick scooters for children from 2 to 5 years old (maybe the best toddlers scooters, too). Also needless to say, this product line has taken all the advantages of the previous Micro Mini Original and take it to a new level as turning T-bar (handlebar) to an Adjustable one to accommodate children as they grow!
Sadly, the maximum reach of handlebar from deck is not so significant different with the Original one.
Value for money (Still!) Seem like the most valuable line within the Micro Family.
Lost of cool colors options (of course!)
Adjustable T-Bar from 17 inches to 25 inches.
Same with the Original one - suitable only if the children are small, seems like can’t not affordable.
Man! To be honest, while seeking for these Micro Kick scooters, I did wish that I should buy these sooner. I even image the years of fun and exercise it provides my children. This could be one of the best toddler scooters to choose!
3. Micro Maxi Kick Scooter with T-bar: _b0e5574d_
Luckily, I didn’t give up yet. After all, there is one member in the Micro family satisfy me.
Micro Maxi Kick Scooter with T-bar is marketed for kids aged from 5 to 12 and with a weight up to 110 pounds. Nothing more that I could ask for!
Hint: this is the first one I put in the selective list!
High weight capacity - 110 up to 112 pounds.
Adjustable and detachable handlebar
Quite expensive in comparison with other Kick scooters in the same line product.
Second, it’s a bitter if not to mention the “RAZOR FAMILY” as the best scooters for kids!
4. Razor A Scooter blue:
- Original kick scooter made of sturdy aircraft-grade aluminum with blue highlights
- Patented T-tube and deck design folds conveniently for transport
- 98 mm inline-style urethane wheels with ABEC 5 bearings
- Patented rear fender brake for quick stops; weighs only 6 pounds
- Recommended for ages 5 and older; 6-month warranty
Maxi Micro is quite a standard. Razor A-series brings some challenges to that standard by add on 2-wheels factor.
Those two share some great core features: lightweight (aluminium frame), high weight capacity came along with their size and weight, well-build design, reliable braking system. All things are equal except the 2-wheel types and lower rolling system - in compare with 3-wheel lean to turn of Micro family.
Razor series move a bit faster.
Razor series are look more “mature”
Razor series are actually the KING OF CLASSIC Kick scooters.
Back to basic, simple and easy to use.
REALLY value for money - this is one of the cheapest one of all kind!
Limited colors and too-lean (boring) design for kids.
Razor in overall is good (it’s even put on top of the best two wheel scooters by many parents). But this classic one is not what I am gonna choose for my characterized kids (You’re welcome, you have an awesome daddy, you know.)
I’m being an awesome dad (no, it’s real!)
5. Razor A5 Lux Scooter: _7fcb3eba_
- Recommended for ages 8 and older; 220-pound weight capacity
- Aluminum T-tube frame and deck
- Greater performance on bumpy roads and rough pavement
- Patented rear fender brake for quick stops; folding design
- Measures 35 by 41 by 21 inches (W x H x D)
Keep on searching, I came across the Razor A5 Lux Scooters (in specific within the Razor series above) which are popularly liked even by adults (Me, for an example!). The Razor A5 Lux Kick Scooters are recommended for kids from age 8 up to...100!
And the handlebars’ height? It can reach to 46 inch tall! Boom!
And the weight capacity? It can carry a 220 pounds adult! Boom Boom!
And the deck wide? It can support to shoes size 12! Boom Boom Boom!
This Razor A5 Lux Kick Scooters are the perfect choices for family outing! Instead of running alongside with the children, parents could also join the game! This truly is the best two wheel scooters!
Offer the biggest wheel size within the Razor A-serie family.
Really can last you a lifetime.
Less likely to slow down or stop over.
Making a small sound while rearing.
Now, you got the second name of top finalist!
6. Globber Primo 3 Wheel Adjustable Height Scooter – 3-wheels: _bfc71889_
- PATENTED SECURE LOCK BUTTON: keeps the scooter moving in a straight line to help your child learn to balance - it is the easiest way to learn to ride a scooter. Unlock the button and spring-loaded steering mechanism allows your child to lean to steer, and front pivot supports enable smooth turns
- ADJUSTABLE HANDLEBARS: that grow with your child. The handlebars adjust from 26.5 to 31 inches from the deck. He or she can hang on tightly to the comfortable dual-injection grips. Recommended for ages 2 - 6 years
- STEEL PLATE REINFORCED DECK: for maximum support and stability. A low deck clearance from the ground provides a stable and responsive ride. Maximum weight capacity of 110lbs, which is more than double other leading brands
- ROLL ALONG SMOOTHLY: on the high-rebound PU wheels with ABEC-5 bearings. An extra long rear brake covers the entire wheel for more efficient braking
- WEIGHT RATED: Up to 110 lbs; Recommended for ages 2 - 6 years
Now, recall what I said before, 3-wheels are for children from 2 to 7 years old!
Globber Primo is such a special case. This 3-wheels Kick scooters offer a height of handlebars adjust from 26.5 to 31 inches from the deck. Furthermore, its maximum weight capacity is around 110 pounds, which is more than double other brands! These dimensions are “outgrow” with a 7 years old kid.
Though it’s not really appreciated as one of the best toddler scooters, with the well-design and all the core features functioning smoothly, Globber Primo is still the most favorited one of girls.
Beautiful design, really suitable for girls.
Value for money
Come in various color
Not so lightweight for younger children (6.5 pounds!)
7. Fuzion X-3 Pro Scooter: _24c44337_
- 2018 FUZION PRO X-3 ☝️ AMERICA'S CHOICE: Top selling pro scooter on Amazon. The PRO X-3 is lightweight, durable, and fitted with top of the line components. Fuzion PRO X-3 comes equipped with upgrades only found in much higher priced scooters.
- 🛴 UPGRADED SPECS: Aircraft Grade Aluminum Deck, High Tensile Steel V-Bars, 100mm Cast PU wheels with Fuzion Metalized ABS Composite cores. NEW: Nylon/Steel Fuzion Custom Brake is durable and noise-free.
- ⏭ EASY PROGRESSION: The PRO X-3 is designed for entry level riders to help them build their skills while they advance to the next level.
- 🔩 DURABLE AND DIALED THREADLESS HEADSET: New IHC compression system with sealed bearings and Fuzion's new 3D Stamped Steel FAZE Fork.
- 🔧EFFORTLESS ASSEMBLY: Only three bolts to tighten - you can start riding in no time at all. Dialed and ready to ride right out of the box.
This Kick scooters have a lean design and are recommended for 7+ years old children. Fuzion X-3 is an ideal for younger riders to maximize their scooter skills and tricks.
The Fuzion PRO X-3 is ranked as the best scooter for kids - A perfect tool to enhance riding experience and better performance. That’s why it gets named not only the best kid scooters, but also the best scooters for pro.
8. Mongoose Expo Scooter 12” Wheels: _37a53500_
- Blaze off-road trails or race down paved streets with this scooter's 12-inch air-inflated wheels, perfect for all types of terrain.
- BMX bike-style alloy caliper hand brakes provide confident speed control and immediate stopping ability.
- This scooter features a wide foot deck for added balance and stability while coasting.
- Impress friends with epic sidewalk tricks with the scooter's BMX freestyle brake rotor and axle pegs.
- This scooter comes unassembled. has a 220-pound maximum weight capacity, and has a 5 year limited warranty.
Again, this is the 12’’ Wheels. Mongoose Expo is a bike-alike Kick scooter. Air tires perform well when riding on paved and unpaved surfaces and Caliper hand brake offer confident speed control. This is just the perfect one as a second scooter for kids to learn before turning to bike.
You could realize somehow the last 3 Kick scooters seem perfect as a second scooters - not the first one they should be. And yes, me at that time has thought the same.
Bros, at the end of the day, I hope you understand why I need to share this story and so sorry for the last part of not revealing which are the chosen one though I believe that I have made a right choice. I could tell that clearly by the way my children enjoy their ride and adventures around the neighbor area.
However, I don’t want to get you bias because of my choice. In you I TRUST. Believe in yourself while choosing the best kid scooters for your children.
And Hang on, just have something to share!
The favor is coming to the ones who try. Your children is also deserved it.
When they are get used to with those scooters and even advanced in riding skills, you should and are recommended to give them an encouragement of trying.
Here now my Two gifts that I’m considering to choose for my children as second scooters buddies in their lives.
9. Vokul VK-LMT Stunt Pro Scooter: _5ee5dbc5_
- 🛴 Vokul S2 freestyle pro scooter is best entry level scooter with stable performance for Begining riders 7-14 years boys and girls with little or no scooter experience.
- 🛴 Made of 6061 Aluminum with Reinforced Heat Treated Forged Plates in Deck and batwing bar is 4130 Chromoly with Triple Clamp to Ensure Stability and Safety.
- 🛴 S2 is lightweight,super-tough and equiped with quality parts to help kids build their basic tricks skills barspin,tail taps,tailwhips to next level and ensure safety.
- 🛴 This is complete freestyle pro scooter,so it's efforless to assemble it,only three bolts to tighten - you can start riding in no time at all.ready to ride right out of the box.
- 🛴 Efficient after-service team to solve any problems you encounted (Reply within 24hours and offer a solution within 72hours),And Some vulnerable parts wheels,headset,clamp can free replace.
This is designed for Intermediate and Advanced Extreme riders. Super smooth and quiet, this scooter are made to help “professional” users to perform their tricks with the most reliable scooters on the planet.
10. Envy S4 KOS Scooter: _0ef23d9b_
The most expensive and fabulous one! Envy S4 KOS is a dreamy scooter in the past years. It’s been the upwards trend by its quality and awesome black looks, ranking one of the lightest and hollow core wheels.
My son and his peers voted this one as “the best two wheel scooters ever ever ever!”
I know my children dream about those two days and nights. So, “The Universe” will have its own arrangement.
Just one last episode: The Scooter-Code.
- IMPACT RESISTANT- Made of tough and durable PP, PE materials with breathable Polyester sleeves, It allow JBM user to enjoy the riding experiences with safety protection to their knee elbow and wrist
- ONE SIZE FITS ALL: The adjustable straps could be flexible to different sizes of knee elbow and wrist, the knee pads elbow pads with wrist guards could offer custom flexibility what the user desrie, they could choose to hold its tightly to keep their position right when they are riding thier BMX, Bike, Rollerblades, Inline Skate, Skateboard, Biycycle, Scooter or choose the comfortable way to have breathable air between the pads and body
- PACKAGE:Wrist guard, Knee pads and Elbow pads Included
- DESIGNED For Adult: Adult normally explore their riding experiences with more agressive move than the younger, therefore to wear a set of anti-shock gear should be consider seriously before the incident happen, the sport such as Skatboarding, Rollering, Riding normally get people hurt when they fall on the ground and it happens a lot even a professional rider with rich experience and knowledge
- FASHION OUTLOOK: The desgin are designed for a more awesome outfit to our JBM rider, with the cool knee pads elbow pads and wrist guards outlook, the riders should feel more comfortable to explore their riding adventure in multi sports purpose
Along their “fast and curious” adventures, children will feel the sand sometime. Since the falling often involve the momentum as well as height, it’s necessary to wear those gears to protect their head and other part of their body.
At first, I didn’t notice much about those protective gears, just bought them to get my children full kits “to look cooler”. But in my son’s very first tries with Kick scooters, once the wheels are suddenly trapped in a pavement in front of our house, the very first thing to hit the ground was the back of his head. It’s terrifying.
- Multi-impact Design
- Sweatsaver liner comes standard
- Adjustable Strap
- Triple Eight Customized Logo Rivets
- This helmet does not comply with the U.S. CPSC safety standard for bicycle helmets for persons age 5 years and older and therefore cannot be shipped to customers in California
Despite the fact that he was wearing a helmet, I’m still freak out while imaging it again. I do think that require a kid to wear a helmet while using a helmet (and protective pads) should be legal. Bros, always make sure your children wear their pad and helmet – all the time.
- Cutting-edge youth safety helmet for biking, skating, and more
- Ergonomic interior padding is comfortable and secure
- 17 top and side vents help rider keep a cool head on hot days
- Side release buckles adjust and fasten quickly
- Fits head sizes 21.5 to 23 inches; for ages 8 to 14; complies with CPSC standards
Though deep in mind, we always want our children forever small (and cute) and forever be in our comfort protective zone. But this world is worth a ride to explore and they will then love the freedom and eases that their buddy scooters bring (and we love our freedom, too).
Let your children enjoy the ride.