With so many varieties flooding the longboarding market, it gets extremely tricky to pick the best longboard wheels that suit your setup and style. They play the most important role in giving you a smooth and safe riding experience. It is the best part of your ride that controls your riding style and pace! They are generally made of polyurethane and come in different sizes, shapes and hardness levels. Hence, you must know what makes them the best longboard wheels for cruising, sliding or for downhill. To start, let's start with longboard wheels guide.
Things to Consider
Color coordination is not always the best way to find you a set of wheels that would go best with your riding style. Basically, you need to check the diameter (size), durometer (hardness), wheel core and the shape of the wheels.
A. Choosing the right diameter - Generally, smaller wheels go well with smaller decks while larger wheels are ideal for longer decks. Though the smaller wheels do work with the longer boards but bigger wheels offer better stability and improve the overall riding experience. Larger wheels paired with smaller boards are a big NO as it would cause wheel-bites. But you can add risers to prevent those. But keep your height and weight in mind while considering the diameter.
· For 40" Decks and Above: Ideally 70 to 75mm wheels would be a good choice for large decks.
· For 34" to 42" Decks: Wheels ranging between 68 to 72 mm are perfect for medium-sized decks.
· For 34" or Smaller Decks: Wheels sizing between 60 to 67mm are perfect for the smaller boards with smaller wheelbase. It doesn't make the board super-heavy!
· For beginner riders: Standard wheel size for the new longboard and skateboard riders ranges between 54 to 59mm.
Pro Tip: If you are looking for an easy push, pick the smaller size within this range, however, pick the bigger ones for high speeds!
B. Choosing the right durometer – Depending on your preferences and body weight of the rider, decide the appropriate hardness of the wheels you require. Lower the durometer number, softer the wheels are. Soft longboard wheels could be slow but provide excellent grip and stability. For a weighty rider, it is better to go for harder wheels that can support the weight and it doesn't slow down quickly. Some manufacturers use durometer b scale which is 20 points lower than the commonly used a scale. For example, a 60b wheel and an 80a wheel got the same level of hardness.
However, there are some standard guidelines for choosing the right durometer in accordance to your riding style and preference;
· Soft wheels ranging between 78a to 87a are perfect on rough terrains as they offer excellent grip and absorb all the cracks. In short, ideal for smooth and comfortable rides.
· Medium hard wheels ranging between 88a to 95a are comparatively harder. They offer less but not bad grip. They are nice for riding over rough terrain and crack-filled streets.
· All-rounder wheels got a good grip and facilitate high speed. It ranges better 96a to 99a. It is ideal for riding on the smooth surfaces like skate parks, pools, ramps and smooth streets.
Check out the recommended hardness of the wheels in respect to the rider's weight in the below-mentioned chart.
|Riders' Weight||Recommended Wheel Hardness|
|More the 175 pounds.||83a to 86a wheels.|
|Between 135 to 175 pounds.||80a to 83a wheels.|
|Below 135 pounds.||78a to 80a wheels.|
C. Choosing the right shape – It is as important as the size and durometer. Round edged wheels facilitate sliding, cruising, freeriding while straight-edged wheels offer better grip and control while riding downhill. It can either throw you out of the downhill race or just hit the perfect carve! So use some brain, decide it carefully.
· Square longboard wheels are undoubtedly square and best known for their superior grip! They have a larger contact patch where the wheels actually make contact with the surface. It distributes the rider's weight on a larger area of the wheels and reduces the undulating resistance of the wheel which can retard you. If you are looking for something to ride downhill and perform tricks like slalom, then these are really nice wheels.
· Beveled wheels are neither flat nor round at the edges. They got an angle on the side, which turns out to be pretty versatile while carving down the hills.
· Round wheels are perfect and most ideal for sliding and carving! It facilitates a smooth and effortless slide by offering less friction on the surface.
D. Choosing the wheel core – Firstly, what is a wheel core? It is the core located inside the wheels on which the bearings rest. It mainly distributes the heat generating from the rotating bearings evenly, preventing melting or the deformation of the wheels.
· Offset cores are at the level with the back of the wheels and are great for sliding purpose.
· Centerset cores located in the center of the wheels are symmetrical and allow the rider to rotate and flip with ease. They distribute the rider's weight evenly throughout the wheel. That is why they are so commonly used in street skating!
· Sideset cores located between the centerset and backset cores are considered to have most excellent grip. It distributes the weight towards the outside of the wheel. However, it cannot be flipped.
Now, you know how to consider for getting the best longboard wheels apart from the color and looks. I have shared the every detail over here that can influence the wheel performance and the riding style. So next time you purchase a set of longboard wheels make sure they are the BEST!
To make it easier for you to hunt down the best wheels for skateboards and longboards, I have listed some of the popular and top-quality wheels of longboarding industry. No matter if you are looking for best skateboard wheels or best longboards wheels for sliding, cruising or bombing down a hill, these wheels would surely make your ride stand out by every means! Just check which one goes well with your preference and style!
Best Longboard Wheels
1. Shark Wheel Sidewinder 70mm Longboard Wheels
- off road
- sine wave
- 78a durometer
These 70mm 78a Shark Wheels are made of high rebound polyurethane and comes in a sine wave shape. Not only it looks amazing, also it is smooth and offers absolute stability. Whether you are riding in the dirt, sand or rain, these wheels are good at grip the terrain and fend the dirt off instead of sticking to it. These are ideally good for 40" longboard decks. However, if you are thinking to team it up with skateboard then it is better to add some riser pads as well. They are soft, grippe along with offset cores making them ideal for carving, cruising and bombing down hills. You are definitely not feeling the cracks and potholes on the track while riding ahead!
· Soft and large wheels made of polyurethane.
· Smooth and comfortable to ride on all terrain.
· Excellent grip.
· Could be teamed with both longboards and skateboards.
· Ideal for carving, downhill, cruising.
· Too much of sliding can wear these out.
2. Orangatang Stimulus 70mm Longboard Skate Wheels
- Diameter - 70mm
- Durometer - 80a
- Lip Profile - Round
- Core Setting - Offset
- Core Material - Plastic
Orangatang wheels are characterized by their vibrant orange color and high-quality and Orangatang Stimulus Longboard wheels are no exception to it. These wheels are sure to catch the onlookers' attention as you ride by. These 70mm wheels come with plastic offset cores, round lips and a hardness rating of 80a. It is a perfect amalgamation of pace and quick acceleration. With a contact patch of 42mm, it is meant to be grippe and stable helping you get the slides with utmost control. It won't be an understatement to call it the best longboard wheels for cruising and hard-core carving. It works best on the longboards; however, the smaller Orangatang Stimulus wheel can be fitted into a skateboard. It is still recommended to add riser pads in the later case.
· Comes in vibrant orange color.
· Soft wheels with nice grip.
· Good for carving and cruising.
· Good for 40" longboards.
· These wheels are fast, so exercise caution while maneuvering it.
3. Sector 9 Slide Butterballs 70mm Longboards Wheel
- One (1) set of 70mm Sector 9 Slide Butterballs Wheels; includes four (4) wheels
- Diameter: 70mm | Width: 38mm
- Durometer: 80a
- Color: White
- Does not include bearings.
These 70mm Butterballs Wheels come in a set of 4. They are made of polyurethane material with the centerset cosmic core, making it strong, durable and ideal for rolling ahead! In terms of softness, they have an 80a durometer rating. The professional design of the wheels gives the best butter-like smooth slides! Unlike the other sliding longboard wheels, they last longer and accelerate quickly. It comes with a big contact patch of 38mm, keeping the slide consistent. They work great with the medium to long longboards. They are not super-soft but they roll really well. It is another cool set of longboard sliding wheels that you can enjoy cruising on.
· Slides like butter.
· Cosmic core for predictable slides and shuns flatspots.
· Durable and white in color.
· Appropriate for carving, cruising.
· Great for beginners to learn to slide on.
· Sadly, spacers are not included in this set.
· You may need spacers for top-notch performance.
· Might leaves trail marks behind!
4. Orangatang Kegel 80mm Orange Longboard Wheels
- Diameter - 80mm
- Durometer - 80a
- Lip Profile - Square
- Core Setting - Offset
- Core Material - Urethane
Orangatang Kegel Longboard wheels come with a diameter of 80mm and width of 56mm which allows an all-around balance, grip and slide response. It scores 80a on the durometer scale. The square lip profile of the wheels prevents them from sliding out as it embraces the surface below for the perfect grip. It gives you the consistency and predictability in all your performance. The offset cores are made of heat resistant Urethane material which strong and stiff so that you can enjoy lots of nice acceleration, great drive, and grumpy slides. They are absolutely made for downhill riding. And not to miss the distinctive pulsating orange color of the Orangatang wheels.
· Works nicely with 40" or longer longboards.
· Comes in a set of 4.
· Made of durable material.
· Offset Urethane core.
· Extremely fast, smooth and stable.
· Knows how to handle the cracks, bumps, and pebbles without slowing you down.
· Best longboard wheels for downhill.
· These wheels are pretty huge, make the measurements correctly and use risers to avoid wheel bites.
5. Orangatang Kegel 80mm Longboard Wheels
- Diameter - 80mm
- Durometer - 83a
- Lip Profile - Square
- Core Setting - Offset
- Core Material - Urethane
These Orangatang Kegel wheels are large with a diameter of 80mm and width of 56mm. It gives the wheels versatility, good balance, traction and slide response. The square lip profile is flexible and embraces the road perfectly offering the rider excellent grip. It makes the slides predictable and controlled. The offset Urethane core distributes the rider's weight providing great momentum, acceleration, and rough slides. While the orange Orangatang wheels are soft, these purple Orangatang Kegel are pretty hard and rates 83a on durometer scale. It makes the wheels slide smoothly and ideal for cruising on all kind of terrain.
· Best longboard wheels for cruising around.
· Large, grippe and fast.
· Durable with heat resistant Urethane core.
· Purple in color – looks amazing.
· Comes in a set of four.
· Ideal for 40" or longer longboards.
· Could be bigger for certain longboards, need to add risers in such case.
Best Skateboard Wheels
1. Sunset Skateboards Cruiser Wheels with ABEC9 Bearings
- 59mm x 45mm Standard Cruiser Wheel Size / 78a
- No batteries ever required
- Brightest LED wheels in the industry
It is super-fun to roll on these wheels. These Sunset Flare wheels come in standard wheel size of 59mm with a softness rating of 78a. As the sun sets, dusk would bring life to your skateboard. Made of clear Polyurethane material, they are as smooth as butter with the dazzling LED lights that can stunningly glow for 100,000 hours without a fail. Each of the wheels is marked with the unique Sunset Flare logo. The best part is that they don't require any battery; gets all the power from the spinning motion of the wheels. So all you need to do is to bolt them tightly with the trucks, mount your ride and go!
They are small and soft cruiser wheels that work nicely with regular skateboards. Though hard, but you can still do some tricks on these wheels.
· Durable and waterproof up to some extent.
· LED skateboard wheels for cruising.
· Made of clear Polyurethane material.
· Comes in a set 0f 4 along with ABEC9 bearings.
· Needs to be fitted so tightly that it requires a freespin of 2-3 seconds to roll more freely.
2. Tiger Boards 59mm Skateboard Wheels
- 59mm super smooth wheels
- Super Soft 78a Softness
- Available in a variety of bright colors.
- Compatible with Tiger Skateboards and other skateboards the same size.
- Bearings sold separately.
These 59mm Tiger Board wheels come with a 78a durometer reading. They are soft, grippe and extremely smooth on any kind of surface. They are no longboard cruiser wheels, they are the perfect standard skateboards meant for cruising purpose. Not at all ideal for slides or tricks.
If you are creating your own setup, the manufacturer recommends complementing it with Tiger ABEC7 bearing along 3 or 4 inch Tiger trucks. You may also require adding some risers for some wheel clearance otherwise, you may experience some wheel bites. They are basically skateboard wheels with a design and look that of a longboard one, available in varieties of bright colors suiting your personal style. Pair it with a penny board, and you are making your own fashion statement!
· Nice large cruising wheels.
· Soft wheels with nice grip, absorbing cracks and rolling over gravels without slowing down.
· Available in lovely colors.
· They are pretty large, so riders might need to add risers to prevent wheel bites.
· Need to buy the bearings separately.
3. Ricta Clouds White 78a Skateboard Wheels (57 mm)
- Smooth-rolling and fast 78A soft urethane with a solid 78D core. Clouds make even the roughest of surfaces feel like smooth warehouse floors. Modern-shaped and not heavy or bulky. Perfect for filming and just cruising.
Ricta Clouds Skateboards wheels are known for being super smooth and fast even on the coarsest surface. These are 57mm skateboard wheels with a softness of 78a and a solid 78D core. They are comparatively softer than the standard skateboard wheels but also a bit heavier. They got an amazing grip and some really nice resistance. No pebble, manhole cover or crack can throw you off your board or even slow you down. They are basically commuter wheels and not ideal for power slides or tricks. However, you may still manage to pull off some fine Ollies on it.
· Rolls fast and smooth.
· Great skateboards wheels for cruising.
· Able to roll over all cracks and rocks.
· Nice balance, grip, and resistance.
· Not really meant for tricks, yet you can still perform some.
· Still trying to find one!
4. Wonnv LED Light-up Skateboard Wheels with ABEC-7 Bearings
- Wonnv 59mm x 45mm Standard Cruiser Wheel Size
- 78A Crystal Clear Polyurethane Wheels for Smooth Riding
- Including High Performance and Durability Bearings
Wonnv LED Skateboard wheels comes in standard cruiser wheel size of 60mm diameter and 45mm width. These are made of translucent Polyurethane material with a softness of 78a, making it roll smoothly over every splintered or rough grounds. Each of the wheels got pure colored LED light that doesn't require a single battery. They are available in five different colors of lights and are powered by magnetic induction, which means they are illuminated by the energy that your riding motion generates. But you need to fit them tightly. This Wonnv wheel package not only includes four LED skateboard wheels but also durable ABEC-9 bearings. Racing on them in the night is so fun and it looks amazing!
· Looks amazing especially in the night.
· Soft and grippe.
· Nice cruiser skateboard wheels.
· Comes in a set of 4 along with high-quality ABEC-9 bearings.
· As they are fitted tightly to the trucks, so riders find them rolling slower than the standard skateboard wheels.
5. Ricta Clouds 54mm Skateboard Wheel
- Smooth-rolling and fast 78A soft urethane with a solid, 78D core. Clouds make even the roughest of surfaces feel like smooth warehouse floors. Modern-shaped and not heavy or bulky. Perfect for filming and just cruising.
These are soft skateboard wheels brought by Ricta Clouds who are known for providing smoothest rides on the roughest grounds. These 54mm skateboard wheels come with a softness of 78a and 78d urethane core. Not just they offer nice grip, but they are also fast and stable. They are perfect for cruising comfortably around the town. They are not meant for tricks or sliding, but you can anyways pull off some allies. You can simply enjoy the fun of cruiser longboard with these skateboard wheels.
· Soft and small wheels for comfortable and quieter rides.
· Ultra smooth on the course ground.
· Best skateboard wheels for cruising around.
· Wears out faster than standard skateboard wheels.
· Hard to perform tricks on these wheels.
I have just mentioned some of best longboard wheels and best skateboard wheels that can make your rides quiet, smooth, stable and enjoyable! Kindly compare them yourselves and evaluate them with your own needs and preferences before ordering them. Don't miss out on the longboard wheel guide while sorting out the best ones. Whether you love them or just hate them, do share your experience with me!